Friday, October 21, 2011

Eat. Your. Rice.

こんばんは!みなさん!(konbanwa, mina-san!)

Hello everyone!!! Today I want to talk about something very special to me!!!

Today was the first meeting for a club that I started with a friend on campus called Eat Your Rice!!!

It was so much fun!!! We hung up fliers this week but we were still worried that no one would come, but a lot of people came and I'm soo happy!!!

To give you a bit of background on the club and why/how it started, on our campus there wasn't a club devoted to Asian culture. The clubs on campus dealt with predominantly games and a bit of anime on the side. So, the first day I met my friend (by the way, she's the president and I'm vice-president) we were talking and we discovered that we both absolutely love Asian culture! She had said that she wanted to start a club for it because there wasn't one, and I had been thinking about starting one also, so it just exploded into going to get the paperwork and finding out what we needed and everything that we had to do to start a club. We both knew that as first years it would be hard but we did it anyways. And now, so many people signed up to join the club that we won't have any trouble doing activities or anything! Everyone was  really enthusiastic about it to! So I get a feeling that our campus needed a club like this and I'm really excited to finish the paperwork and start on activities!!!

By the way, our name, Eat Your Rice. It came from our brainstorming about the club. My friend said that there was a Canadian group who made videos of Korea and life and music there. The group used the name Eat Your Kimchi. So we were sitting there and I suddenly thought (originally as a joke) that we should use the name Eat Your Rice because all Asian countries that I know of eat rice and our club was to be an Asian culture group. So I suggested it and my friend loved it and the more we talked about it, the more I loved it too! So my friend actually got a hold of the people at Eat Your Kimchi and asked if we could use the spin-off of their name and they said yes! And everyone that my friend and I have talked to like the name too!

So I wasn't there when my friend was talking to the person to get the idea approved, but apparently all the faculty involved in approving clubs and such were also very interested in the club and they were really supportive. And we got a sponsor shortly after that. He's an amazing sponsor and he's helped us out tremendously!!!

So, It's been around a month and a half since I met my friend and we began this journey and having our first meeting, it's amazing to see how far we've gotten!!! I'm so happy and I hope that we can continue to have fun meetings and I hope we can do a lot of things together in the years ahead of us!!!

That's all I have for today! Since I was either working on the meeting or in class all day today, I haven't done any にほんご(nihongo), but I did slip in listening to a few songs and now I'm going to watch a few episodes of Lucky Star and relax because I don't have classes tomorrow so I can catch up on much needed sleep! Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!!! ありがとうございます!さようなら!!!(arigatou gozaimasu! sayounara!!!)

And a side note, yes, we did have rice at the meeting! ^-^ おいしい!!!(oishii)

No comments:

Post a Comment