Tuesday, June 26, 2012

日本語の Musings 2

In Japanese, once a subject is established, there is no need to bring it up again...

It makes it hard to follow along in conversation for someone who, like me, was raised speaking English where every sentence has a subject and verb...

I thought of this last night when I was watching a Japanese Drama and later again while I was watching a movie.

In the drama, I thought of how something was explained... in English it would be
"He is my pet.
what?
Pet."
It's strange because normally I would say or reply
"He is my pet.
Your what?
My Pet."

I think that not hearing the subject of the sentence will be strange as I get into conversation Japanese... But I hope I can do by best and get the hang of it! Let's do our best together!

No comments:

Post a Comment