Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Motivation

Hey all. This is an English post, frankly, because I just want to get my thoughts out without losing my train of thought.

My question, or really thought, for today is this:
What is your motivation for learning Japanese?

Some people are motivated to learn so that they can watch anime without subtitles or read manga in Japanese... I don't care about those. They're full of slang anyways and you'd offend someone by talking like an anime character.

Some people are motivated to learn because their family is Japanese and they want to be able to have a conversation with their relatives in Japan... That doesn't work for me. My heritage is German, Irish, and American. I don't even know more than maybe two people in Japan and they want to learn English so I try my best to help them when I can.

Some people are motivated to learn because they are moving to Japan or are going to visit Japan and they want to be able to understand what is being said and what they will be surrounded by... I'd like to go to Japan, but even study abroad doesn't look hopeful for me right now so there is no motivation in the "I will be going" section.

Some people are motivated to learn by their interest in a particular thing like, say literature. They may want to be able to read the original Japanese text... I barely read English literature willingly... 0.o

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't know what my motivation for learning Japanese is and I think that is why I am not progressing in my studies.

My request is that in the comments, just leave something about Japan that you have an interest in so that I can look into it and maybe find some motivation to continue with my studies. You don't have to, but I'd really appreciate it if you did.

Thank you for your time in reading this post! I'll try to prepare something with Japanese in it next time. See ya!

4 comments:

  1. I think your motivation is to understand and appreciate a different culture. All aspects of it. People, lifestyle, food, movies, music. That's what I see in you anyway ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I agree! All of those things are amazingly wonderful! I guess I just need to focus on one little peice at a time rather than trying to take everything in all at once. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. More than this reason or that reason, isn't it simply because you love it? It sounds more beautiful than any other language, it looks more beautiful than any other language. When you hear that language it makes you happy. When you learn a new word or phrase it makes you happy.

    Why not study simply because you love it and wouldn't want to be without it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *tears in eyes* You're right, and I haven't even thought these things for a long time! I think what surprises me the most is that I've said all these things in the past and, for some reason, have not been able to see this way! Thank you so much for reminding me of my dear love of the most beautiful language in the world!!! がんばります!

      Delete