Thursday, March 29, 2012

踊ってみた(odottemita)

Hello! OK, so this phrase has been bugging me fo sooooo long!!!

踊ってみた(odottemita)

It's at the end of every video title where someone is dancing to something and I looked it up a few months ago and the translation I got was "I dance." Now, I already knew that this phrase stood to mean that it was a dance cover done by the performer in the video, but I always want to know every little thing about the things that I'm super interested in. So I knew that 踊る(odoru) is "dance" but I didn't know what the てみた(temita) part was. What ended up happening is that some website said that it was another wat to say "I" (which I thought was ridiculous because I had already learned all the ways to say "I" and that wasn't one of them). So this kept bothering me everytime I saw it until today.

Today I looked at it and thought, "踊る is a verb, right? So could it be that the てin the next part of the phrase would be the verb ending rather than the first part of the next word?" So I went to the youtube search bar and I switched to 日本語(nihongo) keyboard and I started typing "odottemita." by the time I got to the "te" in hiragana, the search bar suggestions were all 踊ってみた, so I then typed it into google translate (love hate relationship). It turned out with "dance as seen" or something like that. So It means that it's a dance cover (as I knew) but "temita" is not a form of "I"... at all. That's the moral here. I had a direction for this post but I had to leave my computer halfway thru for about 2 hours, so I forgot.  Sorry. ^-^

Anyways, sorry I haven't been posting regularly!

Thanks for reading! ^-^ Bye for now! XD

3 comments:

  1. I've been wondering what that phrase meant too! I figured it had something to do with dancing, but that's really all I thought. See, you're getting this language stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding "te-miru" to something is "to try" or "attempt to do". "Mita" would be the complete form, something you've already done. So it's literally: I tried dancing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just wanted to add my part as well~ the actual translation of "odottemita" is "I tried to dance". The dancers (known as odorite) use that to title their videos on NicoNico. Since it's a cover and not professional, this is what they use! The most common way the odorite would title their videos is: "[name or group name] song title [odottemita]". The other most common way that's usually used for duets (or more) would be: "[dancer 1] song name to (eng: and) odottemita [dancer 2]"
    This goes the same for utattemita (tried to sing). The utaite (singers) use this to title their covers because they are not active as professionals, and are considered 'amateurs'.
    Also, I'm aware this post is from a couple years back and that you probably figured it out by now, but in case anyone came across it again (like I did), I wanted to add this little bit ^-^

    ReplyDelete